Adverb of Certainty menyatakan seberapa yakin atau pastinya kita terhadap suatu kejadian/tindakan. Adverb of Certainty menjawab pertanyaan seperti: Yakin gak kamu? Seberapa yakin sih kamu? Beberapa Adverb of Certainty: certainly, definitely, probably, undoubtedly, clearly, obviously, maybe, perhaps.
- Certainly & definitely menyatakan kepastian. I will definitely come to your party next week. The problem can certainly be solved.
- Undoubtedly(baca: an-da-u-ted-li) menyatakan kepastikan yang tidak diragukan lagi. She is undoubtedly the worst cook in the world.
- Clearly & obviously menyatakan kepastian yang jelas terlihat/terbukti. This is clearly his handwriting. How can anyone read it?
- Probably, maybe, perhaps menyatakan ketidakyakinan/keraguan. Q: Will she come? A: Maybe. I'm not sure.
Dimana sih kita menempatkan adverb of certainty?
Adverbs seperti certainly, definitely, undoubtedly, clearly, obviously dan probably umumnya diposisikan di tengah kalimat.
- Adverbs of certainty bisa (1) diletakkan setelah tobe: ... tobe + Adverb. Cth: It is undoubtedly going to rain. It's so dark outside.
- Adverbs of certainty bisa (2) diletakkan setelah auxiliary verb: ... aux + adverb. Cth: It will probably rain later this evening.
- Adverbs of certainty bisa (3) diikuti dengan noun phrase: ... adverb + noun phrase. Cth: Today is definitely the gloomiest day ever.
- Adverb of certainty bisa (4) diikuti dengan verb: ... Adverb + verb. Cth: It will certainly rain today.
- Maybe & Perhaps (5) umumnya diletakkan di depan klausa. Cth: Maybe it won't rain. Perhaps the weather will improve later.